This is our 3rd year helping out the city who were in a bind for volunteers in 2015 and called on us, Maverick Rugby. We will be helping out as runners as well as manning barricades on Friday, April 21st from 3:00PM to 7:30PM. It’s a little earlier than normal start time as festival doesn’t start until around 5PM but with a match the next day it’s better than working until close which is around midnight plus what better way to help you not over indulge the night before a match. Check in behind the GP Housing and Neighborhood Services building near the corner of Collins and Church Streets. Need everyone out to help even if you can’t get there at the start.
CUP MATCH - SATURDAY APRIL 22nd VS. DENTON
Last cup match of the season is this Saturday, April 22nd against the Denton at North Lakes Park. Kick-off is at 2:00PM and all players need to be there by 12:30PM. If you need a ride let us know at practice so we can make arrangements. Check the Schedule page for directions.
LOOKING FOR LADIES TO PLAY RUGBY
Maverick Rugby is starting a Women’s Team and are looking for any ladies interested in giving the fastest growing game a try. No Experience necessary as we will teach you.
The club is celebrating their 35th Anniversary this year and we are doing a few things in conjunction with the momentous occasion.
1. Alumni Match and Hall of Fame Inductions - Saturday, April 29th
- HOF Class to be announced later this month.
2. Anniversary Golf Event - Friday, April 28th (Late Afternoon - Riverside Golf Course in GP)
- Question: What type of golf do we want to play as we have been throwing around the idea of rugby golf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThA6bZXYfA) as opposed to the version invented by the Scots over 600 years ago.
3. Old Boy Jerseys
- Getting a new set w will be selling off the old Plaza Pub Hoops jerseys we have been using for the alumni.
- Old Boy Logo and Design is being finalized and should be available next week.
- We will be taking personal orders jerseys for $75.
Would appreciate if you could provide the following information so we can plan accordingly.
Alumni Match and Social
- Will you be attending and if so how many guests (need to make sure we have enough food)
- Will you be attending
- Golf Preference - Rugby or Traditional
Old Boy Jersey
- Size(s) if purchasing (They will be lose fitting similar to what the Plaza Hoops jersey are)
You can email, text or FB message John K. More details will follow in the coming weeks as well as FB invites and such.
BE A MAVERICK
Do you think you have what it takes to be a Maverick? Come on out and find out. Practice every Tuesday and Thursday. No Experience Needed.
Credits - Director/Editor: Jon Marcus, Head Cameraman: Dan O'Connell
SGT ROBERT "RED" BROOKS 1971 - 2009
Robert C. Brooks, a Sergeant with the Duncanville Police Department, was born September 24, 1971, in Germany, and passed away in the morning of March 6, 2009, at age 37, after a long bout with brain cancer. Robert was a graduate of Duncanville High School and Stephen F. Austin University where he earned a degree in Criminal Justice. He had been awarded numerous commendations in his nearly 14 year career with the Duncanville P.D. He was a rugby player for the Arlington Mavericks and was known for his passion for the game. Red will be deeply missed and even though he is gone, his saying, "I AIN?T DONE PLAYING YET." won?t be forgotten. For those who were unable to attend the service here are
the kind and touching words spoken by Red?s childhood friend Sean Evans, Chance Snow and LT Charles Smith.