Match Day Selection Policies
For the mutual benefit of the individual, as well as the club, a process of selection as defined by the Club officers has been established. This policy is a guideline that represents the minimum requirements for a player/member to be eligible to play in scheduled matches. This process insures that all players have an equal opportunity to earn their place as a select side player. It also insures that the Club is continuously working to better itself and achieve the maximum level of player potential.
The criteria for becoming eligible for selection, are as follows;
- Being a member of the Club, in good standing, having paid all dues as required by the Club, or having made suitable arrangements with the Club Treasurer.
- Providing all necessary documentation evidencing eligibility in accordance with the rules of the USA and Texas Rugby Unions, including, but not limited to evidence of citizenship or permanent residency and CIPP registration.
- Attendance at regular training sessions, including a minimum of one practice the week before a match.
Based on the criteria outlined herein, a player pool will be made available to the Selection Committee, comprised of the Head Coach, assistant coach(s) and team captain(s). The Selection Committee will make selections, based on the following criteria;
- Level of skill the player has demonstrated;
- Level of fitness that the player has attained;
- Dedication to the Club exhibited by level of participation;
- Level of tenacity, heart and resolve exhibited by the Player.
All players are required to be at the field 90 minutes prior to kick-off. All players will be required to be "match ready" 60 minutes prior to kick-off at which time the starting "15" will be announced along with first alternates and planned substitutions. Any player who is selected to play and for whatever reason is unavailable, must notify the Head Coach immediately.
Any player who questions why he was not selected may request a private explanation from the Head Coach, assistant coaches and/or the captain(s).
This above policy is for cup matches and friendlies. Selections at tournaments will be made by the Selection Committee utilizing the criteria established above, however, the Selection Committee may alter the criteria for purposes of;
- Player evaluation in game situations;
- Providing playing time to the maximum number of players;
- Mixing players of varying degrees of skill and fitness in a game situation.